Wednesday 7 November 2007

Meeting the Kendal WDM Group


The World Development Movement has such an incredible structure, with local groups of ordinary people working to support Malawian campaigns across the UK.

On 7th November, I made my way to Kendal in the North of England to meet the WDM group there. Before our meeting, I enjoyed a walk around lake Windermere. Beautiful valleys, rolling hills and birds in perfect cohabitation. But the real delight started as the day was coming to an end. A wonderful WDM group in Kendal!

The group was so keen to discuss the issues I was raising around the state of development in Malawi. The state of politics, the state of privatisation, with an emphasis on water, as well as our joy, but also our anxieties, in the early of days of debt relief in Malawi. Some of the group talked about how easy it is to be discouraged by the state of affairs in Malawi. But I was able to encourage them, explaining how WDM is playing a vital role in bringing about real change, supporting organisations like ours to campaign on these issues.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Unfortunately with the date change I could not make your debate in Edinburgh on Thursday (8th) - I was there on the 7th in error! If there is perhaps a paper you have written which deals with the charity/justice question I would be very interested to read it?